In the Middle

Monday, May 08, 2006

home stretch

I see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I DON'T think it's a train coming at me. There are only 12 1/2 days left with kids + 1 1/2 of teacher work time. I got three boxes packed today. I am allotted 30 for my whole room. We're all moving out of our historical building into another old school building so that they can renovate ours. They SAY it will take one year. I wonder...
The big project which I'm working on for the principal is coming along. I spent last Thursday at school from 7 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. typing almost the whole day on it. It is a notebook which we have to present to a higher authority, showing all the progress we've made toward our goal. It will be about 75 pages thick when we get through. He does parts of it, and I do most of it.
This weekend was nice. We went to a movie on our way home Friday night. Tom Cruise did a good job in his latest, MI:3. We didn't want to tell the boys or they would rush out to see it and neglect their studies. Saturday I went to a baby shower for "Princess Porter" whose parents go to church and have twin boys already. She will be a spoiled little girl, I'm sure! Then, Sunday I attended another shower, this time for a boy due to a co-worker. Both places were a good 45-minute drive away. I was really glad to get in on the passenger side today and leave the driving to David.
Last night we sat down by a young couple. He kept talking to her during church, and it sounded like he was explaining things during the sermon. I thought she had an accent of some kind, but I couldn't put my finger on it. (And I'm usually pretty good at that, since that's what I do for a living.) We asked them out for dinner to our newest Mexican restaurant in town, and found out that they both graduated from the nearby Christian university a couple of years ago. She's from Romania and knows a guy who David knows from Arlington. He taught her several years ago. She grew up as an orphan, but was adopted by a family. She's very sweet. He's from Texas, but enjoys living here. They just moved out our direction a few months ago. We encouraged them to come more often, and we think they will. He's teaching a class somewhere else, so has to complete that duty.
Tonight we visited with our neighbor Janelle (she was out in the yard) who has taken up the sport of bike riding in a big way -- she rode 60 miles this past weekend. She's bought herself a new tent and plans to ride and camp out this summer. Her husband is tagging along, but not riding yet. He walks 4 miles a day since he's retired. It was really good to see them again.
Also, my honey helped me plant my new rose bush. Laura picked it out for me several weeks ago. Should be beautiful. Can't wait. I'll show you a picture if it lasts. My last rose died, but it survived about 4 years.
I've about decided that I won't plant tomatoes this year. It really makes me sad not to, but last year was very disappointing. And I'll be gone a couple of weeks when they'll need tending. Just better not start it. Besides, Albert, our neighbor across the back, always grows plenty. He knows what he's doing!
Had some more good therapy this afternoon. It's still swollen, but I'm able to do more every day. A week ago I wouldn't have guessed I'd be packing boxes and lifting things like I did today.
Mom and Dad seem to be doing well. We're all looking forward to the party in June. Got my ticket last week to fly there. I'm so glad it wasn't that hard to arrange.
Well, gotta get going early tomorrow. Take care and keep in touch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home