In the Middle

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Cave Boys

You've got to hear the one about Mammoth Cave. Once again, I volunteered to help with a church outing for the 4th to 8th graders. This time, I recruited one of my own former students, George, to go along. We had to meet at 7 a.m. to get everyone out the door on time. We took a back road -- Phil drove, I had "shotgun" for the van full of little boys -- and lost a little time, but ended up in the right place at the right time. The ranger led us on a two mile hike below ground, providing lots of historical details about the place. Very interesting. Thank goodness we didn't see any bats or anything very scary. After two hours and passing through "fat man's misery" as well as "tall man's misery", over the bottomless pit, and up 150 stairs, we finally saw the light again! Whew! Lunch (even a squashed peanut butter sandwich) was a welcome break, followed by a great devo of songs and Bible thought on David and Saul in a cave. Next stop was the gift shop, where Justin and Matt talked me out of a few dollars for some souvenirs. Driving back with a bunch of tired, silly boys -- they are so cute! George got to know some of my regular buddies and he took lots of pictures. He was a great sidekick. I just love field trips so much, I take them even when school is out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home