In the Middle

Monday, August 07, 2006

On the Horizon

It's going to be a great year. That's what I tell myself. I saw some of my new students today and they are so cute! I got my basic schedule, and it is doable. My room is still not quite ready for prime time, but it's coming along. I got my computer up and running and I saw a lot of my co-workers. There are some neat new faces and the really great ole ones! I love my job, and I pray that this year goes well so I can enjoy my new closeness with my parents. They are getting settled in. Thanks to Ron's sister, Mom had a big day drinking iced tea and moving furniture! She was "high" with the feat of moving some big pieces around and hanging the first picture. I just HAD to go by and see. They've had visits from two church people so far, delivering fresh sourdough bread and a chocolate chip pie. Dad looks great! They had even hooked up the cable that was dangling from the wall and were watching "Walk Through the Bible" on PBS.
I hope some day Todd can go to visit them. He hasn't set foot inside their house yet, and tomorrow will make ten days since they arrived! He IS working, though, so I can't complain. I don't approve of driving for a lifetime career, and feel sure that he will tire of it within the first few months. It is awfully hard on your health, and can make you fat, sitting that much, sleeping that little, and eating mostly junk food.
A young lady I saw today, daughter of an old teaching friend, recommended that Todd get his MBA. I was surprised because he doesn't have any business background, but she assured me that it would be a great step into the business world. She had considered teaching school earlier in her life (even did her undergrad in education), but decided against it after subbing at our school while her mother taught there. She got her MBA and is SO happy in the corporate world. It makes you think...
A small but significant thing that has happened recently in my personal life is that my optometrist recommended a new type of contact lens and drops. It has made a big difference in my eye comfort and reading ability. I didn't know how much it would help!
And, of course, I must mention the successful trip that my sister-in-law made to Ireland. I'm so happy for her, that she could do all that touring and relaxing. It sounds wonderful. I have traveled alone before, and found it really enjoyable, for the most part. She is doing such a remarkable job of researching the family tree on that side of the family. I am grateful for that because it will help our boys realize where they are from and why they are the way they are. My mother-in-law, too, is impressive because in her low-key, pleasant way, she introduced us to a whole group of relatives. She moved among them, bestowing friendly comments and exchanging small talk. She is a truly genteel southern lady whom I am blessed to be related to. ( She did a really good job of helping to raise some fine children, too.)
So, let's see...How are all these random thoughts related? New class, new closeness, new job possibilities, new contact and "vision", new realizations of great relationships. Yeah, it's going to be a great year!

1 Comments:

  • Oh, you write a lovely blog my dear. Thanks for the mention, I feel like a celebrity!
    Aunt R

    By Blogger Rose, at 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home