In the Middle

Friday, August 18, 2006

First Week Back

I've made it through the first week of school. Just 35 more to go. Naw, I'm not really counting. They are still very cute and I'm in the "honeymoon" phase of getting to know my new kids. David says I always do this. There are about 60 total. I have one boy named Jesus, one Angel, and a girl named Bethlehem. They were all in one class until some schedules changed. Three Jose's, two Yi's, a Nhan and a Nang, four Abdi's and two Mohamed's. Guadalajara and Guanajuato are represented, as are Beijing, Jakarta and Yangon. Both coasts of Africa have sent their "tired and poor" (sorry, just can't help humming the melody penned to the poem on the base of the Statue of Liberty), "the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these the homeless, tempest-tossed to me"...etc.
The good news is I'm teaching what I love to teach ALL day long. I have a spacious room, two new computers, and third period planning (what I've ALWAYS wanted!). The better news is I have given the responsibility of yearbook sponsor to another teacher, so that weight is lifted from my shoulders. It has taken a few days to straighten out the mess of transportation and special ed paperwork. I have a new translator, too, who will help with the Spanish speakers.
So, things are pretty good these days!
Due to gas prices, I'm still carpooling with my honey. It's more fun anyway, and definitely improves one's prayer life and reflexes! (He relies on faith and his Southern charm, not turn signals or brakes, in traffic.) Maybe it's one reason my hair is curlier... We're talking about how we can ride the new train that is starting to operate soon between our fair city and the metroplex. Should be interesting. It stops less than two miles from our house and carries people to Riverfront Park. The timing will be tricky, getting to work on time. It sure would be less stress on the driver. Might require some biking, hiking or bus riding. Free exercise!
I've been walking more and enjoying visiting with my neighbor Michelle. We've known each other at church for years, but never thought about this outlet for companionship. She's about 15 years younger than me and has sons ages 11 and 3. We have fun talking about their "growing pains" and our relatives, jobs, and houses. I logged 57 miles last month!
That's the news from this end of the county for this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home