In the Middle

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Girl's Night Out

School's going good. More and more kids every week. It's like a mini-U.N. in my class. At times I need some peacekeeping forces, but most of the time it's just siblings getting riled at each other.
Tonight was another raucous birthday party for friends Norma and Alma. They actually drank tea, but I held with water. Several of us had baked sweet potatoes, a specialty of the restaurant where we chose to party. I brought the surprise cake (chocolate with chocolate frosting) and the waitress made them stand and receive a huge "Yee-Ha!" from everyone in the room. They liked it. Sharon passed out cute brightly painted magnetic puzzles she'd gotten for us in Mexico six weeks ago, and we all tried to talk quickly and catch up on whatever's happened lately. Mostly different stories of what college kids have done (or not done) and how much we appreciate our dear husbands. Cards and gifts for the birthday girls, cake for everyone. Fun times!
Then, I hurried out to meet a plane load of tired folks from church who've been in Ukraine for the past 17 days. They look bedraggled. Their flight had been delayed and one man had lost his luggage, but otherwise, they were very satisfied that they'd accomplished some good there. I'm so proud of them -- and hope I can go next time. I did go last year, so I know what I'm missing. They said some of the children and ladies there asked about me. It's nice to be needed.
Tomorrow, we help host a Greek feast served by a Greek lady we know and love. Maybe I can pay back some of Todd's baklava we've sneaked lately...man, that's good stuff!
Mom and Dad are adjusting well. We sit together in church and do a lot of things together. It's SO great to have them here!
Gotta get my beauty rest. Hard to fly with the eagles when you're out with the turkeys...or nightowls...or something like that!

1 Comments:

  • Glad to hear that your folks are doing well. Moving must be very hard. We have been here for 21 years! I will have to be dug out of here, so much "stuff."
    rrrrose

    By Blogger Rose, at 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home